Monday, September 10, 2007

Wierd Encounters

On Thursdays, I don't go to work. I go to a church class called Institute every week at 7 pm. Since, I had to ride the bus to school and would not be getting a ride to the church for Institute, I had decided that I would walk to the church from the school. Early that week, we discovered that Gizmo, my older sister, Rachel's cat, was almost out of food and we were going to need to get more, somehow. I decided that the best thing to do was for me to walk over to PetSmart from the school before Institute to pick up a bag of food for him. I ended up having to use my own money to pay for it because there wasn't enough of the money Dad gave to me left for it. First, I used the remainder of the cash then I paid with my checking account to minimize the amount of money I'd use from my account. Yesterday, I talked it over with Mom and Dad, and they said that I could just deduct the amount taken from my account from the money I owe them, since they lent $125 to me for my tuition. Dad also told me that instead of getting money from them when I needed it, for lunch and bus passes, I could just continue to deduct it from that amount as well. Since, it would be a lot easier to deal with.
So, I purchased Gizmo's food and I was planning on walking over to the church from there, but I saw Sister Pedersen (a member of my ward, in my church) and some of her children in line a couple people ahead of me. After they were done, they saw me and went out, and were waiting for me to exit the store. Sister Pedersen offered me a ride to the church. So, I got a ride to the church instead of walking, as I had initially planned. I had left the school immediately after my last class ended at 1:50 pm, because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get to PetSmart, so, I got to the church at around 2:30, and lucky for me that there the missionaries were there, so, the church was open and I got sit inside to work on homework or read. While I was sitting there, Brother Billings (another member of the ward) came in and started to talk to me, asked me why I was there. I told him for Institute. He asked what time it started, and I answered at 7 pm (I'm pretty sure that that may have been the reason his son, Taylor, who is a year younger than me, actually showed up at Institute, because I'm pretty sure I saw Brother Billings make a phone call after I told him that and I can only remember Taylor showing up one time before that.). We started talking about other things, and he asked me if I was a Heroes fan, and I answered that I liked the show fine, but that I had missed several episodes, but that Sara was obsessed with it and about her watching the same episode at least 2 days in a row, and coming in on her watching it day after day after day. He said that he was what could be probably called a "closet Heroes fan" and before he left he told me to tell Sara that he had Heroes on DVD (Sara has been wanting Heroes on DVD for her birthday on October 2nd, since she found out it was coming out this month.). It was very strange. I've also decided that I really would like to walk to the Church from school from now on.
On Friday, I took the bus to the Gateway Mall (the mall on the north side of town) in Bismarck, to wait for the bus I would take to the Kirkwood Mall (the mall on the south side of town) in Bismarck, because the Arby's I work at is located within it. While I was waiting for the bus, this man of African descent, came to the bus stop to wait as well. I was reading The New Era, which is published by my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, while waiting for the bus and this man asked me what I was reading, I told him. He wanted me to tell him about it, my church. He also said that he liked to hear about other churches. So, I started to tell him about it. Then, when I had just started talking, I saw Gennifer Glum (another member of my ward) walking as well; it was the last place I expected to see someone from my church. So, I just continued telling him a bit about my church.
I've discovered that taking the bus is the perfect way to get more exercise and that walking to the church for Institute is another. I plan on continuing to take the bus and walk to the Church for Institute even after it's not necessary anymore.

1 comment:

rayecheal said...

The great thing is, not only is taking the bus a great way to get exercise, it also seems to be a great way to do missionary work! Thats really cool!